The best razor for the best shave!

November 13th, 2012 · 3:08 pm @   -  14 Comments

Being a barber I get asked this question on a daily basis.  What is the best razor for the best shave?  Many people seem to be unsatisfied with what they are currently using for shaving for one reason or another.  I would venture to say that most men are using the name brand razor that features any where from 3 blades to 5 blades.  So what is the problem with these razors?

I think one of the biggest issues most people have is the price of the refill cartridges.  I saw a pack of  14 Gillette fusion pro-glide power cartridges for $45.98.  I believe that because of the price of the refill cartridges many people shave until the razor is dull and then some.  The problem with that is, shaving with a dull razor can cause irritation.  Another issue these razors usually have is when your shaving hair gets stuck between the blades and even when rinsing out the razor its impossible to clear the blades from debris.  What a pain!

I’m going to recommend an alternative razor to shave with, many of you may be thinking I’m going to recommend a straight razor,wrong.   A straight razor has its advantages and is a nice razor in the hands of a professional.  The upside is the blade is directly making contact with the skin which results in a super close shave.  The downside to this razor, is it can be easy to cut yourself so if your inexperienced it will take a lot of practice and you will spend a longer amount of time shaving.

My recommendation is using a double edge razor like the one pictured above.  These razors have many advantages and they are easy to use.  You can use the same shaving techniques you use with the multiple blade razors.  You may spend a little more money upfront to get a nice razor, but the replacement blades are actually very cheap in comparison.  You can find a pack of 100 blades for around $30.00  These razors are easy to open up and to clean out any debris that might collect during shaving.  Also with it being a single edge blades on each side you will cause less irritation especially on the neck area where many people get red bumps from a multiple blades razor.

The thing to keep in mind if your purchasing this type of razor is some have short handle or long handle.  Some open like a butterfly and some twist and unscrew.  Some have smooth handles which may be slippery to hold while shaving.  But this part all comes down to your personal preferences.

We carry these types of razors at both locations and they usually range from $19.99 to $80.00.

14 Comments → “The best razor for the best shave!”

1. @ItsGreatToBeDad

4 years ago

I just purchased a safety razor from Rays last week. I have loved the close shave, skin irritation is down, and it is really easy to clean. It is very much worth the upfront cost.

2. Gavin

4 years ago

After coming in last week for a haircut and discussing this very issue with my barber, I am converting to the safety razor. Dad is mailing me grandpa’s old razor, so I will need the blades and a good brush. Do you carry brushes? Also, how long should I expect a blade to last?
    Thanks

• admin

4 years ago

Thanks for your comment I think you will love this razor. We do carry brushes but I don’t have a large variety. We do have the synthetic type brush but I have not found a good set of badger brushes to carry as of yet. The blades will vary depending on what brand of blade and also depending on your hair coarseness and density. The great thing about these blades is as soon as you feel its not giving as good of a shave you will not have any hesitation changing the blade for a new one since they are so inexpensive.

3. Laura Anies

4 years ago

If you sometimes remove the unwanted hair and suffer skin bump after that, finding a good razor bump treatment product is necessary. My man always uses the Organic Tea Tree Anti-Bump Lotion. It brings him the feelings of cooling, smoothing and comfort.

4. Pedro

4 years ago

I have had many problems using the razors out there that are mach 6,7,8,9 etc. All of them ruin my face and I end up with ingrown facial hair galore. Since moving over to the D/E blade I actually look forward to my next shave. Whats also important is the type of shaving cream you use and how you prepare to shave. Ive found that using pre shave oil has really helped ease the glide of the blade across my face. You can find very cheap blades for the D/E razors online. I personally use Merkur blades and am very satisfied with them. Plus the coolness factor of shaving with an old school razor is pretty high. Great article!

5. Peter Chamberlain

4 years ago

I’ve been using a DE for about ten years now. I would suggest purchasing Feather New Hi-Stainless blades from Japan. They are by far the sharpest, highest quality blace I’ve found. Nothing you can buy at WalMart or Walgreens even comes close.

6. Rebecca

4 years ago

Hi,

Can I purchase one of these razors from you? I live near Buffalo, NY. Will you ship?

Rebecca Erb

• admin

4 years ago

Hi Rebecca,
      Yes if you would like to purchase a razor just email me a phone number to info@raysbarbershopslc.com and I we will give you a call and work out the arrangements.

7. Anand

3 years ago

Please let me know which DE razor brand do you recommend?

Thanks

Anand

8. Mark

3 years ago

About 6 months ago I got my dad’s old safety razor that he used when he was in the army 50 years ago I spent a couple dollars on blades and gave it a shot. I gave up on canned shaving cream and got an inexpensive badger brush and some shaving soap and a mug. I am so pleased with the results. I was nervous that the old school razor might chew my face up, but I keep sharp blades in it and just let the weight of the razor do the work. It is great!
    When I want an extra smooth shave I’ll re-lather and make a second pass. I have so much less irritation than I used to get.

My only concern is that my shaving lather doesn’t foam up as much as I’d like. Could that have to do with the hard water I have, or is it just that I am not spending enough time creating the lather?

• admin

3 years ago

I am glad that you have enjoyed the traditional double edge razor and the use the shave soap and brush. When it comes to using the shave soap and brush you can change the consistency of the lather depending on the temperature of the water that is used. The warmer the water the more lighter the lather will be and the colder the water the more thick it will be. It is recommended to use warm water. I also like to use the brush to determine how much water is used to create the lather. I will run the brush under the water and then use a circular motion on the brush to foam it up. Now keep in mind that using traditional soap you may not get as much foam as you may be used to when it comes to the cans of foam. I hope these suggestions will help.

9. Kieran

3 years ago

Great post, it’s always good to get a professional view point but I normally use an electric razor as they are so much quicker. How do you feel about straight razors?

10. Eddie Winston

2 years ago

I have a beard but I like to keep my neck and part of my face very cleanly and smoothly shaven. The face is no problem but I can’t do anything about my neck. The hair remains and it’s like I’ve never shaved. And I think the hair on my neck is growing. I would like a very closely shaved neck. What can I do?
    Thank you for your time.
    Eddie Winston

• admin

2 years ago

Hi Eddie

When it comes to shaving their are a few ways to shave and get different results. The closest shave that can be given is to shave against the grain with a straight razor. I will let you know though that this close of a shave usually is to troublesome for most. It is so close it can be irritating and can sometimes cause bumps from ingrown hairs. generally we tell people to shave with the grain to have a more comfortable shave but as you mentioned it will not get a smooth and close as it would if you shave against the grain. So to answer your question if you want the closest and smoothest shave you could try to shave against the grain with a straight razor. If it is to irritating I suggest going back to just shaving with the grain which may not be as close but is worth it if you feel to much irritation.